Friday, April 15, 2011

No One's Hometown Ever Makes Any Sense

We've all experienced this: we are away for an extended period of time from the place we have at any point called "home."

But, inevitably, one must return for any number of reasons.

And, subsequently, there are just some things that make no sense. Everyone accepts this to be fact. It is believed by most humans on the planet that their place of origin is the most nonsensical place on the planet Earth.

Maybe that's true. Maybe we, as humans, are just nonsensical beings. Maybe we are so observant of the happenings in this one place, that we can immediately pick up in such total silliness.

I will put forth an example:
I returned to Phoenix, AZ from where I attend university (obviously, not in Phoenix). Now, I did not grow up in Phoenix, but I had lived there long enough to be able to call it where I'm "from." I spent the majority of my high school career there.

In Phoenix, the airport has no trash cans outside along the bay of doors leading to the departure area.

This might not seem like a big deal, but it is. Especially when you are waiting to get picked up along that departure terminal and have no place in which to dispose your empty Starbucks cup.

There aren't even ash trays by the smoking areas. I was there for a while. I checked.

Who thought of that?

Now, I'm not one to litter, but I don't think as many people are as considerate as I am. There was a veritable Death Row of water bottles and other drink receptacles sitting in a sad little line along the outer wall. It would make the personified Earth Day cry herself to sleep.

Come on Phoenix, do better.

Now, I know that Phoenix and the state of Arizona as a whole have much bigger problems on their plate right now than the lack of a couple dozen trash cans (trust me, I know), but seriously? I thought this was kinda a no brainer.

No comments:

Post a Comment